Advertisement

Bansuri

topic posted Mon, September 4, 2006 - 4:41 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I'm a Western classical flutist & also play Irish wooden simple system flutes, but I've recently purchased a bansuri & hope to learn more about playing it in the style in which is was meant to be played! :)

Are there any web sites, books or other resources out there for those new to bansuri? Since I play other flutes, I have that experience to help, but I'm interested in learning more about the Indian classical style of playing and other related things when it comes to the bansuri.

Anyone have any particular tips of their own or other things as well?

I appreciate any tips or links, etc. tremendously!
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Bansuri

09/04
    this may be of only a little help but try
    www.facingeast.com
    John Wubbenhorst is a key member of the group and plays bansuri

Namaste

Mark

09/11
      www.manosemusic.com/

this guy is amazing and peaceful and a wonderful sprit

12/24
        I've had the distinct pleasure of performing live looping gigs (where I was playing
        mostly rhythm, percussion, beatboxing and support padss) with the amazing Bansuri
        player, Deepak Ram.

One of the things that I really scoped about his playing is that he has really mastered
        seemless sliding from any note to any note. One of the first things you might attempt to
        learn is how to do this technique, by rolling your fingers smoothly off the holes all the way up
        the flute.

Also, what ever Rag I picked to play in (and he and I settled on 6 quick Rags for me to learn in
        5 of his favorite keys) he would pick out a separate instrument from a bag of what looked like
        between 10 and 20 flutes.

In our concert he did one of the most amazing things I"ve ever seen done.

I started out a piece with an ambient loop, playing a long piece of corrugated plastic thin pipe. The harder you blow on this
        pipe, the higher the overtones go so it is a very ethereal sound but tied to the natural harmonic series of the fundamental created
        by the length of the pipe. I have not tuned these pipes and , indeed, use them more as random sound events in a piece rather than
        a melodic basis for it.

Deepak cocked his head to the sound and listened really intensely and then bent over and picked out one Bansuri from hi bag and then
        proceeded to play a 'found' Rag utiltizing ONLY the harmonics that I was playing.

It was so stunning and so musical and the amazing thing was that he HEARD exactly what I was playing and played immediately in perfect tune with the pipes.

I had known of him through his considerable reputation in this area (he has taught at the University of California at Santa Cruz and, sadly, no longer does) but he really got my attention in that improvisation. It was wonderful. We had only had coffee and we just walked onto stage and made really interested music for an hour without having ever played together. I"ll never forget it.

I now own a half a dozen Bansuri and am always looking for more.

12/25
    This site
    www.buckinghammusic.com/bansur...ri.html

claims to offer tutorial videos etc. (I've not investigated in detail).

cheers,
    d.i.

01/06
      I can't name any sites, but I used to know a bansuri player in the SF Bay Area, Linton Hale, who like me was also a sometime student at the Ali Akbar College. (I live in Montréal now, so I've been out of touch.) He seemed fairly knowledgeable; he used to host concerts of Indian classical at his studio. He might know of some more resources. Here's some contact info I googled:

www.healthyarts.com/mymusic.html

(Tell him you were referred by a guy who helped build the floor at his old Valencia St. space.)

03/15
    Aloha from Maui - I also play the simple flute. I believe, one of the curious things about bansuri playing is that you use the middle pad of the fingers rather than the finger-tips.

07/18
      Hmmm I just started playing Bansuri and I have been told that you;re meant to use your finger pads as you say...but..I accidentally bought a really small Bansuri...it's only 27cm long so it;s almost impossible to use your finger pads because the holes are sooo close together